My buddy DS sent me what I thought was a really funny BBM yesterday. He asked me if I knew where to buy a watch in Singapore. :).
For those of you who know me, you would find this funny as well. Anyway, I thought I would put together this short list of a few good places that you can cover in about one afternoon if you want to go. It is not an exhaustive list as there are places in Lucky Plaza, Orchard Road, Far East and many more where you can find what you are looking for. These are just some of my more popular haunts and broken down into a few categories.
New Watches for Under $1000
(1) Superchrono – #02-03 Sim Lim Square. The shop specialises in NATO and ZULU straps, unusual and / or home country models of Japanese watches and sports watches like Luminox.
Last year we bought a Tissot Sea-Touch, straps, a very unique looking Seiko 5 Military watch and a couple of watches from them. All at good prices.
(2) If you head across the overhead bridge on the same level as Superchrono, it will bring you across the road to The Bencoolen on 180 Bencoolen Street. In the Bencoolen you can find about 6 shops that sell new (mainly Japanese brand) watches like Seiko, Citizen, Casio, Sandoz, Skagen. Prices are very competitive as competition is fierce and business is brisk.
(3) If you can’t find what you want at the Bencoolen you can head over to Prestige Time in Bras Basah Complex. 3 generations work in this family run business and they are always willing to negotiate on price. Bought about 4 watches from them last year and their prices were the best.
Previously Owned Watches
The Bencoolen is also the first place I probably head to if I want to buy a Previously Owned Watch.
(4) My favourite shop is Tootokei located at #01-36. He is more like a friend than someone I transact business with and I have bought and sold numerous watches from him and ALWAYS gotten a fair deal.
(5) Unique Time De Watch at #01-88 is another shop to check out. Always my second stop after Tootokei. He is more of a watchmaker / repairer and so the selection is not that wide but prices are very reasonable. Closed on Sunday
You can find Omega Speedmasters for under $1500 and Omega Moonwatches for about $2200 and heaps of other Rolexes, Panerai’s, Tag’s and all sorts of mid to high end brands at The Bencoolen.
(7) Chuan Watch at #01-51 in Golden Landmark Shopping Centre on Victoria Street is where I would head to if I wanted to buy a Rolex. Bought my first gold Rolex here and about a number of other Rolexes and Omegas for the family over the years. Selection has widened and as you will see from their website, they are a bit more upmarket.
(8) Ken Vintage Watch, KB Watch and a couple of other shops are located in Golden Landmark as well and they are worth a look. For example I picked up a half gold Rolex 1601 from there in December for about $1100.
New watches above $1000
(9) Finally, if I wanted something between $1000 – $20,000 I would head over to Watches of Switzerland in Vivo City or as a last resort Sincere Watches in the same building. Mind you once you head into 5 digits there are any number of shops in Singapore that would be willing to help you spend your money and I would do more research if I were buying something in that price range.
Finally, ALWAYS remember that all of the above shops will negotiate on price! Depending on the brand and model this can be anything from 5% – 40%.
If you have any questions, drop me an email and happy shopping!